Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Our First Dance as a Married Couple

One of the things I dreamed of about my dream wedding is that my groom and I would not dance the traditional waltz or a slow dance as our first dance as couple.  I love dancing, ballroom dancing in particular.  So, I thought that dancing a traditional dance would be boring. :)

Thus, when I finally got engaged, I asked a dance instructor to teach me and my future husband a ballroom dance that we can dance during our wedding reception. 

Our dance instructor was Danny Pintacasi.  I first met him at a Salsa night in a restaurant in Greenbelt years ago.  My friend, Vanessa, introduced us.  Although, I haven't had the chance to learn the salsa until now, I was glad I met him.  I contacted him right away as soon as my future bridegroom agreed that we'll learn a new ballroom dance for our wedding.  I'm so glad that George likes to dance, too.

It was a good thing that Danny's availability matched ours.  We set the date for our first practice right away.  Danny suggested that we learn the foxtrot for our wedding dance and that we dance to the music of Frank Sinatra's Love and Marriage.  And wonder of wonders, I found out that my fiance George had a cd of Frank Sinatra's hits including the song suggested by Danny.  It must be God orchestrating my dream wedding down to the littlest detail I desire.

So, Danny began to teach us the basic steps and choreographed our wedding dance.  I don't remember anymore how many times we met but I think it will not be more than 4 because George and I were already very busy with our wedding preparations.  It was also a good thing that George and I had been dance partners in the past (modern dance and swing) and we both enjoy dancing.  These made it easy for us to learn foxtrot and memorize our wedding dance. 

On the night of our wedding, during our reception, we were both nervous when we were called by our emcees for our first dance as a married couple.  But as soon as we started dancing, the nervousness sowly faded away and we simply enjoyed dancing with each other.  I think we made one or two mistakes but I don't think our guests noticed them.  We all enjoyed it!  They enjoyed watching us dance while we enjoyed dancing to the music.

I thank God for fulfilling this seemingly trivial wish.  It just proved to me that nothing is trivial to God as long as it is important to us.  I thank God that I met Danny whom He used as instrument in helping me fulfill my wish.  Most of all, I thank God that He led me to my bridegroom who not only had all the essential qualities I wished my future husband would have, but also satisfied most of my preferences.  And one of those preferences I listed was that my future husband must love to dance as well.  God is so good indeed!





Check out the lyrics below of this Frank Sinatra classic.

Love and Marriage


Love and marriage, love and marriage,
Go together like a horse and carriage.
This I tell ya, brother, you can't have one without the other.

Love and marriage, love and marriage,
It's an institute you can't disparage.
Ask the local gentry and they will say it's elementary.

Try, try, try to separate them, it's an illusion.
Try, try, try and you only come to this conclusion:
Love and marriage, love and marriage,
Go together like a horse and carriage.
Dad was told by mother you can't have one
You can't have none.
You can't have one without the other.

[Musical interlude]

Try, try, try to separate them, it's an illusion.
Try, try, try and you only come to this conclusion:

Love and marriage, love and marriage,
Go together like a horse and carriage.
Dad was told by mother you can't have one
(You can't have none.)

You can't have one without the other.

Here are some of our pictures while dancing.






If you and your fiance are thinking of having your first dance as a couple choreographed or you simply want to learn how to dance ballroom, I recommend that you get Danny to teach you.  Dancing can be a good bonding activity for couples.  It will not only improve your dancing skills, you can also lose some weight in the process.  That's why dancing is my favorite way to shed off excess pounds.  It doesn't feel like a chore like if I'm thinking of other exercises. ;)  Anyway, you can catch Danny every Wednesday and Sunday for Salsa nights at M Cafe, Greenbelt 4, every Thursday at La Dolce Vita in Polaris street and every Saturday at Chihuahua, Makati Avenue.  You may get in touch with him at these numbers: 09164907924 and 5145019.

1 comment: